Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ah, Beethoven!

One of the great perks of my life is the privilege I have of singing with the Utah Symphony chorus. Even when I drag through a week of nightly rehearsals, I have to "lift up my voice and sing" praises for this blessing in my life. This weekend, we perform Beethoven's masterpiece "Ode to Joy" from the Ninth Symphony. When I think that Beethoven was completely deaf when he wrote this symphony (and after conducting it for the first time, had to be urged to turn around to acknowledge a thunderous standing ovation!), I am in awe. This is the stuff we'll hear and sing in heaven!
"Alle Menschen Werden Bruder (All men should be brothers)"
How appropriate in our world today...

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I just taught my music class about Beethoven being deaf and yet still writing music. Amazing stuff. Alot of the kids knew Ode to Joy because it's in all the beginning piano books. Way to go, Lisa. I love your posts. Very classy.

Cindy said...

Lisa, I love knowing that God sends the world people with special gifts, and that even under less than favoriable circumstances,these gifts were shared with the rest of the world!! Ahhh...Beethoven!!! I cant carry a tune, but I sure can appreciate one!!!

Cynthia said...

One of the gals in my ward went to the symphony to hear the Ode to Joy concert, and she said the choir was better than the soloists! Thought you might enjoy that remark :)