Monday, October 27, 2008

Primary is the Greatest Place on Earth


Yesterday was our ward's Sacrament Meeting Presentation by the Primary on the year's theme of "I am a Child of God". We've practiced hard all year, we've rehearsed and memorized, and here it was time to present. Our meeting is first thing in the morning, so I was busily collecting pictures and notes before heading to the chapel. The bishopric counselor over the Primary met me in the hall with a funny look on his face. "So," he says not-so-casually, "did you know Sister Lifferth of the General Primary Presidency is in the congregation?" Not realizing that he had said "General", I said, "Oh, yes, you mean Sister McLean, the Stake Primary president?" "No," he said. "I mean General, as in 'top of the class', 'head of it all', right up there with the General Authorities!" I think I said, "Holy Cow!" Is that bad to say in church where one of the General Primary presidency may hear you?? Yes, there she was, sitting next to an awestruck Stake Primary member, in her adorable tailored suit (can you even be a member of the General Auxiliaries if you don't own a tailored suit?). Our program was precious, as I knew it would be. The children were reverent, happy, assertive, courageous, beautiful, angelic, eager, and well prepared. I cried as they sang, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me", because He was there, standing beside them. I got goosebumps as one of our Young Women played her violin to "I Love to See the Temple". I couldn't stop smiling when some of the priests came up to sing "Called To Serve" with our older boys. I just wanted to hug them all and kiss the tops of their adorable heads. Dear Sister Lifferth came up to me after the meeting ended, and with arms outstretched, gave me a big hug. She was gushing with compliments. What a sweet woman! She said it was one of the best programs she has ever seen or heard...and I'm sure she's seen her share of them! It was one of those epiphany moments, where you wish someone was engraving your feelings and emotions on a gold tablet to remember forever. I was so incredibly proud of my kids, and I felt such an overwhelming love for everyone in Primary, from the tiniest nursery baby to their leaders to the music people to the teachers to my wonderful presidency to every single child. How blessed am I! I've got the greatest calling in the world!

post signature

5 comments:

Joleen said...

Congratulations! What an experience. I know you always work so hard on the programs and worry so much about them and then when it is time to present it, it always come together so great!! I haven't been in Primary for quite a few years and so I love to see and hear the children during the Sacrament Meeting Program. Can't wait for ours. Thanks for sharing about your special day.

Cindy said...

Congrats Lisa!! Im sure I would have melted to a grease spot on the carpet knowing a big-wig was listening and watching!! Beautiful post! THanks for sharing a wonderful glimpse into Primary!! (You must be the Pres.?) I think I had forgotten this.

Sonja said...

That is so great Lisa that it went well, but I would expect nothing less from you. (Remember, I know how you work.) Some days I miss working with the little ones. And then again... Congrats on the success and on your special visitor.

Cynthia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...

What a fabulous experience. Congrats on a job excellently done.