Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Broadway Rocks!

Last Saturday night, the Utah Symphony performed "Broadway Rocks!" at the beautiful Deer Valley resort in Park City. About twenty members of the chorus were asked to provide "backup" to the soloists, and I was lucky enough to be one of them! It was a wonderful evening to sit on the grass in that awesome mountain setting and listen to fabulous Broadway show tunes. At rehearsal that morning, the chorus members were given their comp (free) tickets from the box office, but we soon discovered that there were LOTS left over. Everyone quickly called family, friends, and neighbors to invite them to this great concert. I called A&L and invited them to come join me, D, J, and Gram. L called some of her family, so we had a fun group there. The soloists were world-class, with prior gigs on Phantom, Les Miz, Beauty & the Beast, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Wiz, and other great shows. The chorus sang "doo wop" on tunes from Hairspray, Rent, The Wiz, Dreamgirls, and Aquarius. I was in heaven and couldn't keep still!
For the final number, we sang "Let the Sun Shine" from Aquarius. The director had asked us that morning to bring "hippie" costumes to change into, since all the soloists would come out on stage in their 70's attire. I raided my Halloween costume box and found this great blond wig! I looked in the mirror and said, "I look like my sister...only much fatter!" My fellow chorus members were also decked out, but I took the cake for best transformation! It was fun to come singing through the audience and stand in front of the stage, clapping and dancing to the beat. Yea, man, Broadway Rocks!! Peace Out!

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

That pic is hilarious!!! You look awesome!!!!
I'm so glad you posted it so I could see it!! :) Oh man I wish we could have been there...it sounded like so much fun! Love you...

Sonja said...

Wow Lisa -

I hardly recognized you. What fun and what a great setting.

Cindy said...

Lisa!! You really do rock!!! What a fun, fun evening. I love Park City in the summer!! Peace,Love and Rock 'n Roll!!!!!!

Cynthia said...

What a crack-up, and what a fabulous experience!!! Once in a lifetime, for sure. What a night that must have been. Glad it could happen to you.