Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day

Celebrating Pioneer Day was made more poignant this year when one of my friends suggested I read "Fire of the Covenant" by Gerald Lund, the historical novel portraying the Willie and Martin handcart companies and their journey west to the Salt Lake valley in 1856. I started the 700-plus page book about a week before the holiday, and honestly read it every chance I got--day or night. It was based on real-life journal entries and experiences, and in every situation I visualized our own pioneer ancestors struggling to follow the prophet, be obedient to the Lord, and keep the covenants they had made through baptism. Their faith was amazing. My own great-great grandmother (on the Passey side), Susannah Clark King, came west as a little girl about J's age. She had a 2 year-old stepbrother and her "job" was to carry her little brother over the trail. Goodness! And we were huffing & puffing going up and down the inclines at the zoo, carrying 18 month-old L last week! As I've complained this week about hot temperatures, broken automobiles, not enough money to go buy some trivial thing, I've had to catch myself and think, "How would I have fared as a pioneer?" Not well, I'm afraid. I laughed and cried and mourned and rejoiced with these valiant saints, and as I finished the novel the day before yesterday, I gained a new appreciation for their tremendous sacrifice. I am eternally grateful to the men, women, and children who gave everything--even their lives-- so that my family and I could enjoy all the marvelous blessings of the gospel. We all owe them so much.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Cool Mom! I need to read that one. I miss you guys! I bet the fireworks were amazing and wonderful! We basically did nothing....blah, we're so boring. Tomorrow I'm making Rob take us to Sand Hallow Res.to play on the "beach"! Love ya!

Cynthia said...

That book has been recommended to me a couple of times, too. I should read it soon. Our ward is going to Martin's Cove as youth conference for a trek experience. My great grandfather was among the rescue party for the Martin handcart company. It's very humbling to think of what those pioneers did so that we can have what we have.

Cindy said...

THank you so much for those beautiful thoughts. So true,so true!! We spent a few short days in July, 4 years ago, at Martins Cove; It SNOWED!!!!!!!!!!!! It was horrible!! I cant imagine any of it!! Im a wimp to be sure!
I couldnt bring myself to read the book, though it is always highly recommended!!