Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Uncle Ray

My sweet Uncle Raymond Uharriet passed away last night after a brave, horrendous struggle of over a dozen years with health issues, including cancer. My heart is sad, but only for me and our family. I am ecstatic for Uncle Ray! He has received his graduation papers at last, which is what he has been praying for for a long time. He is finally going home. He's finally free from the body that was a plague and a source of intense pain. He is finally going to see those who passed before him, especially those who went too soon and caused Uncle Ray to question why his boarding pass hadn't been stamped yet. Uncle Ray was a giant of knowledge, a keeper of the flame of patriotism, a library of stories that made you laugh & cry, a cheerleader of all your best efforts, a man who loved a good Coca-Cola and Tootsie Pop, and a lover of life and mankind. One of his favorite stories he liked to tell me was how I was no bigger than a shoebox when I was born, with a head full of dark curls. And, I'll never forget when I was a grown woman and a wife and a mother, and he came quietly down the stairs of my house early in the morning of a May 30, holding a bouquet of flowers, to wake me and wish me a Happy Birthday. Just a few weeks ago, he told us President Abraham Lincoln was going to "come for him" when it was all over. I don't doubt that Abe would. I can see them, crossing into heaven, Uncle Ray in full uniform regalia, giving President Lincoln the punch line to a good story. Lucky Abe. Lucky Uncle Ray. God bless you forever...I love you.
post signature

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I only remember great things about Uncle Ray! He always made me smile and giggle. He made any party more exciting! I will always remember the silly 'meditation' we would do on Gram and Pop's floor...I can see Uncle Ray's face and still hear his "hummmmm" and it makes me laugh.
I know he's happy and feeling the best he's ever felt now. I love you, Uncle Ray!

Battered Hope said...

I cried and rejoiced with you - recently lost my daughter's husbands grandpa and wrote a heart warming blog about it -- but we rejoice that he is with his Heavenly Father!
batteredhope.blogspot.com -- see 81 year old man is killed while riding a bike