Monday, January 17, 2011

Each New Day

This post has taken some serious reflection and thought over the past several days since one of my sweet friends suggested it: What ten things did I do right in the past month/weeks/days? I finally came up with ten...
1. I continued some wonderful traditions with my grandchildren, such as gingerbread house decorating and Christmas Eve Grammy time. Precious time spent with five precious blessings!
2. I did my Visiting Teaching, making sure my three sister-friends know that I care about them and love them, no matter what.
3. I did some service for families in our ward/neighborhood to help them through the holiday season. Happily, I shared that service with my Ness, so she could feel the blessings, too.
4. I surprised the tenor section at chorus with a small gift before the holiday break...they were genuinely appreciative (I'm the tenor section monitor, also known as "Mom").
5. I wrote a story for my mom and siblings for Christmas, a fable called "Travelers". It was a labor of love to emphasize the positive characteristics we each bring to our family. It was a joy to write and give away with love.
6. I went to the temple with members of my ward and stake. I didn't ever want to leave...
7. I've "gently" helped my family start regular Family Home Evenings--three weeks in a row!
8. I had two basket parties with Scentsy! It was a good month, thanks to those girls & their friends.
9. I treasured every minute of Christmas music I could. I was sad when the radio stations started playing "noise" again.
10. I helped my sister a couple of times when she was down and feeling hopeless & helpless. I only wish I could have done more.
Whew! that was hard! Everything I wrote, I thought, "but I COULD HAVE..." It's hard to acknowledge the positive and give ourselves a pat on the back. Good thing each new day is a new beginning. What shall I do today?
post signature

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautifully done. Thanks.
One gal in our ward saves the thank-you notes she receives from people so when she's feeling down she can re-read them for a quick feel good moment.

Cindy said...

Loved this Lisa!! I dont know why it is that women/moms have such a hard time noticing the good, instead of always so easily seeing the shortcomings?!!? I thank you for this and I think I may have to give it a try too. You are an amazing, Christlike woman, and so talented too! Let us all all keep up the positive!!!

Chelsea said...

This is a great post Mom!!! I said at the end of December that I wanted to start a Gratitude journal and here it is February and I haven't done it yet. Adding stuff like this to that journal would mean so much more, too. This really inspires me to get going on it. I feel like so much of my day is spent just trying to keep up and stay afloat...with little reflection on if I helped someone else feel happy or the blessings of the day.