Monday, February 14, 2011

Love is in the air...

Happy Valentine's Day! I remember the first Valentine card I got from a boy (other than the ones automatically given in grade school). I was in the 8th grade and had gone out hand-delivering cards & goodies with my siblings to our neighbors and friends (do we do that anymore?) and came home to find a LARGE (at least 8 x 10) card and fancy box of chocolates. When I read who it was from, I visualized the face of one of my brother's friends and was initially horrified to think that my "secret admirer" was a puny sixth grader! But when my mom saw my expression and figured out my thoughts (of course!), she quickly set me straight--this was from the OLDER brother, Jeff, a much more mature 9th grader! I'd like to say it was my first romantic experience and that I was starry-eyed and love-struck, but no...this sudden attention turned my blood to ice. I was scared out of my wits! I was only 12 1/2, was pretty much a loner girl who still played with dolls and crawled into closets to read my books, and here was a flesh-and-blood boy who wanted to walk me home from school and HOLD HANDS! Horrors! (Months later, I would be begging this same boy to look my way and give me a smile...but that's another story.) So, here's to Jeff and his tremendous teenaged courage--and to the quiet solidity of the love I have now and forever with my Quiet Man, for whom my Heart beats.
post signature

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I remember receiving a box of chocolates from a young man at Mutual one Valentine's night, and I was so caught off guard, I asked him who they were from! He was still in the shorter-than-me pudgy stage, and I was embarrassed to be the object of his attention!