Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sweet Candy

Once upon a time, this sweet dog came into my life. She was a "pound" dog, and we chose her because she sat at the door of her cage and wagged her tail at us without a sound. The place was chaotic with barking dogs, clamoring for our attention, but she (wisely) captured our hearts with her big brown eyes and fluffy tail. When we found out she was born around Valentine's Day, we named her "Candy" after the faithful dog of Grandpa Wilford, and she lived with us for 14 years. She was a nuisance at times (yes, she COULD bark! and nibble at little people!), but mostly she taught us unconditional love. She liked comfy laps, babies who threw food on the floor, turkey ham, a scratch between the ears, the back of the couch where she could look out the window and be warmed by the sun, and rides in the car. She did NOT like sirens, thunder, getting her hair cut, babies who pulled her tail, being shut up in the bathroom when the UPS guy came, and the liver nuggets in her dog food. She was affectionately called "Canders" and could "yowl" with My Quiet Man. She was happy when we walked in the door and watched for us to come back when we left. I miss the way she'd "fluff up" a place to sleep and then sigh when she was settled. Sometimes I call for her when I drop something on the floor, wishing she'd come trotting over and slurp it up for me. She was a good dog. Very Good. My little Candy...
post signature

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oh, this makes me cry!! I miss little our little Candy dog! She always made me feel better if I was sad...she knew when we needed a little pick-me-up! :) I loved giving her baths and "trimming" her hair...like I was a pro at it. Then she would RACE through the house going from room to room as fast as she could...rubbing up against the couch cushions to dry off. Remember that I cleaned her teeth at the vet when I did my little "job following" in high school? Oh the memories!! :)

Britnee said...

I miss Candy and I loved her lots too. I think my Chewie would love her.